TOP 5 BEST MATTRESS FOR FIBROMYALGIA SUFFERERS



When it comes to comfortable bedding, I am known in some parts as ‘The Princess & The Pea’…That’s why I thought I would share with you about my top 5 sleep products for fibromyalgia, CFS/ME and chronic pain.

As many of you know, getting a good, well-rested sleep where you wake up feeling refreshed and better is the dream for many of us.  I for one was an insomniac for the past 25 years and was DESPERATE to sleep (to the point of looking forwards to an operation so I was knocked out for a bit. Lesson learned.  When in hospital you don’t sleep due to constant taking of vitals etc. Oh well!).


As well, for some of us, our beds are not just where we sleep, but it is the most comfortable place for us in regards to being on the laptop or tablet, reading, resting, watching TV/movies.  So having a place in bed where you are able to adjust items based on areas of pain and tenderness in critical – as is getting the proper support.




what is the best mattress for fibromyalgia sufferers,

For me, due to my severe neck issues going on, on top of fibromyalgia, I am unable to sit up without the pressure compounding in my neck and shoulders – leading to a flare up inevitably.


Therefore our bed has also become my office, my dining room and of course, the cat’s most favourite place to reside! (He steals my heating pad – so I had to replace it with a whole heated underblanket for him!).


On a side note – having one of these really can reduce your heating costs as they keep you nice and toasty warm for pennies a day!


MATTRESSES MATTER!


Finding a comfortable mattress is of course the key component to ensuring you are getting the support and comfort you require.  I highly recommend if you can physically try a mattress first before buying…and if that is impossible, make sure that if you buy a mattress/mattress topper online that there is a full refund policy if you are not happy. A mattress should be replaced every 7 years according to the Sleep Council.


FOAM OR NO FOAM, THAT IS THE QUESTION


I know many people who swear by memory foam mattresses – and people who find their’s way too hot for them.  So, it is imperative if you are making an investment in a mattress to ensure that if it doesn’t suit you can get refunded. (And make sure that you don’t get rid of your previous mattress until you are A-Ok with the new one!!!)

So!  On this note, the following are my favourite products to help me to be a) comfortable in bed and b) enable me to get a better night’s sleep.


Our bed is what my husband and I refer to as ‘The Cocoonerie’ (aka the most comfortable bed possibly in the world…).


HERE ARE MY TOP 5 FAVES FOR GETTING A GOOD SLEEP!


1. THE CHRONIC PAIN (MATERNITY!) PILLOW


One of the best investments that I have made this year is buying a maternity pillow.   No, I’m not pregnant, but yes, I sure need comfort and support!

what is the best mattress for fibromyalgia sufferers,

I have turned my pillow around so that there is an area to go under my legs to support and take the pressure off my lower back and hips.

So far, after a year of constant use, this pillow continues to hold it’s loft!  Plus I love how it cradles me and provides support, even lying on my side.


Several of my friends have purchased body pillows…but the biggest issue is taking the cover off to change it. (One friend said it took her AND her mother close to 15 minutes to change hers – and it wiped her out!.


  • No repositioning during the night, simply turn from side to side
  • Hour glass inner curves snug and support your entire back and belly
  • Aligns hips for neutral joint positioning
  • Ideal for sciatica, gastric reflux, congestion, fibromyalgia, and carpal tunnel syndrome

If you are in the UK, then the pillow here is the Sanggol – excellent quality. In the USA, the S2BMOM is similar and has excellent reviews, too.

2.  POLAR FLEECE SHEETS


Ok.  Not great if you struggle with night sweats or on hot summer days…but in the cooler months, these polar fleece sheets are soooo cosy! My husband always comments that ‘the sheets have trapped him in bed’ as they are that comfortable, it makes it hard to leave ‘the cocoonerie’!

what is the best mattress for fibromyalgia sufferers,

My mother sent me these sheets years ago from Canada and I was so thrilled to see that they are now available on Amazon. They wash and dry really quickly and they have stood the test of time remarkably well.

Yep.  They are an investment, but well worth the price for the years of comfort and cosiness that they will provide for you.


Struggle with feeling too hot? Bamboo sheets are what folks are raving about. Super soft and nice and cool, too!


3.  THE CHILLOW PILLOW


Studies have shown that cooling our heads has been shown to help us get to sleep faster and longer.  I know for myself, having a cool head in using either one of these packs or just ice packs at the base of my head help my insomnia quite remarkably.



what is the best mattress for fibromyalgia sufferers,

Personally, anything that is not medication related and that can do the job naturally, with no side effects, is my kind of product!


As well, people with CFS/ME find that it can really help them relax and sleep due to potentially reducing swelling of the brain.


  • Cotton
  • Made in the USA and Imported
  • Relieves Night Sweats, Hot Flashes, Back Aches, Sore Feet, Fever, Restless Legs, Sunburn, Migraines & more
  • Glove Leather soft exterior instantly cooling to skin – no latex or hard nylon/polyester
  • Cool Soft Memory Foam feel, not hard like gel products which heat up, feel hard, grow stiff over time and cannot disperse heat consistently
  • Large full pillow size, No electricity needed
  • USA Made material, non- toxic, no overseas toxic material or undisclosed gel ingredients


4.  OIL DIFUSER VAPOZISER


For many of us with fibromyalgia and CFS/ME we can be sensitive to smell – in both ways.  We can smell things when nobody else can it seems!



what is the best mattress for fibromyalgia sufferers,

For me, having soothing scents in our bedroom really helps me to sleep. (My husband sleeps the moment his head hits the pillow – #jealous).


Setting ‘the mood’ for getting a good sleep is imperative.  For me, if I am able to, having a hot soak in the bath with my Kneipp Valerian & Hops herbal bath, with the lights off, candles on and this aromatherapy  oil diffuser going in the bedroom, so when I am finished with my bath it’s time to easily chillax.


Admittedly, this all goes tits up within minutes because I am yet to find a comfortable bath position or proper mat to get the weight off my hips and coccyx – if you have a solution with a great product please put it in the comment section below!.


One of my favourite oils that makes the whole house feel clean and fresh has got to be lemongrass oil.

what is the best mattress for fibromyalgia sufferers,
In trying all sorts of pillows over the past few years, I always went back to my tried and true friends…of the feathered variety.  (In fact, I still have the pillows I had when I moved away to school 25 years ago!).  Problem was cleaning them was a nightmare. (Feathers EVERYWHERE in the dryer…all over the house!) and my husband started to get blocked up and coughing during the night…which stopped immediately when I replaced the feather pillows with these organic buckwheat pillows. Live in the USA?  Here’s a link for an organic buckwheat pillow.

We love how they contour around our necks and shoulders giving support just where it is needed…and the ability to adjust the amount of filling makes this pillow excellent. You can also remove some of the buckwheat easily, should you find that the pillow is too high for you.


A FINAL TIP


If you are anything like me (and most people I know), my night table has a mobile/cell phone charging, my tablet, my Kindle as does my husband’s side of the table.  Radio frequencies abound when we do not shut these things off!  Have you ever noticed when you are near a radio and a text message comes in or you send one and it makes weird sounds on your mobile?


Guess what?  These radio frequencies are really affecting our sleep!  For more information on how this affects us, please check out EMF & Radio Frequencies.


Try switching everything off before you go to bed – including your bed buddy’s stuff – these waves really do interfere with our sleep.  No, you aren’t going to stop them completely, but at least they are not beside your head and in bed!



IS A POOR QUALITY OF SLEEP AFFECTING PAIN, BRAIN FOG AND DEPRESSION/ANXIETY?

You had better believe it does!  Here is an article by the National Institute of Health – albeit it is about osteoarthritis, the principle still applies.  Getting a good sleep is paramount!


Next

How to Win a Fibromyalgia Disability Case: 15 Steps